The Hartford Sr Data Scientist - Workers Comp and General Liability in CHARLOTTE, North Carolina
Title: Sr Data Scientist - Workers Comp and General Liability
Location: United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Other Locations: United States-North Carolina-Charlotte
Job Number: 1801420
Overview of the Position
The Hartford seeks energetic and passionate Data Scientists to focus on designing, developing and implementing solutions that will make an impact on our Commercial Lines book of business. Our Data Scientists play a significant role by both leading and partnering with the business and data teams for a better understanding of the customer journey across multiple lines of business. As a Data Scientist you will focus on research for deliverables that support the long term business plans to evolve the department’s capabilities and deliver impactful products to drive outcomes for both Small Commercial and Middle Market businesses.
Solutions that are developed will touch a wide range of business areas, which include pricing, underwriting, product and operations. Our Data Scientists create a best in class modeling and analytics approach within the data science community. As a Data Scientist you will focus on developing analytic and predictive modeling solutions that feature engineering assets, modeling techniques and abilities. Our Data Scientist toolbox consists of, but not limited to, predictive modeling techniques, machine learning, cognitive computing, unsupervised learning, and augmented intelligence. As a Data Scientist you will support and explore those assets overtime through customer adoption and establishing a rhythm within the data science community.
• Collaborate and partner with business stakeholders in a way that supports the vision and sustains a culture that treats analytics as a corporate asset.
• Participate in reviewing work with partners on an ongoing basis to calibrate deliverables against expectations.
• Help identify long term opportunities within the customer journey through the creation of algorithms and machine learning techniques to achieve financial objectives and solve problems.
• Participate in the creation and deployment of long term tools to continually evolve the business.
• Assist in identifying and assessing the value of new data sources and analytical techniques to ensure ongoing competitive advantage.
• Contribute to the successful implementation of strategies to achieve targeted business objectives.
• Accountable for short term ownership and evolution of models developed.
• Support the processes used to develop and enhance our business needs.
• Support a high-performance collaborative culture.
• Develop knowledge of The Hartford's formal and informal structures, business processes, and data sources in your area of expertise.
• Remain current on research techniques and become familiar with state of the art tools applicable to your function.
• Provide economic, qualitative, and statistical support to ensure accuracy of characteristics and metrics being applied to business decisions.
• Assist in estimating the economic impact of operational decisions.
• Promote analytics opportunities of the company with customers and business partners.
• As requested, provide timely feedback and opportunities for your colleagues.
• Suggest and participate in training opportunities for research staff and others in the organization.
Experience & Skills:
• Master’s or Ph.D. in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Quantitative Economics or other similar analytical field
• 2 years of relevant experience in Research Function in Insurance or Financial Services or related field.
• Experiences with R, Python, and SQL are highly desired
• Experience in commercial markets insurance (i.e. Auto, Property, Workers Compensation, General Liability, etc…) a plus.
• Project management experience a plus.
• Subject matter expertise in data modeling.
• Strategic thinking and analytical capability.
• Strong verbal/written communication skills.
• Ability to translate complex technical topics into business solutions and strategies.
• Exposure to executing change to core business processes through the innovative use of quantitative techniques.
• Drive and commitment to what is necessary to get the job done efficiently, thoroughly, and professionally.
• Innovative. Seeks new and creative ways to approach analytical exercises and development projects.
• Results-oriented. Demonstrates a sense of urgency and accountability for business issues.
• Customer focused. Builds effective relationships within the data science community.
Behaviors at the Hartford
• Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers
• Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford
• Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others
• Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
* NO AGENCIES PLEASE *
Job: Data Science
Primary LocationUnited States-Connecticut-Hartford
Other LocationsUnited States-North Carolina-Charlotte
Job LevelIndividual Contributor
Education LevelBachelor's Degree (±16 years)
TravelYes, 10 % of the Time
PostingMay 7, 2018, 9:18:40 AM
Remote Worker OptionNo
The Hartford is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, ancestry or citizenship status, genetic information, pregnancy status or any other characteristic protected by law. The Hartford maintains a drug-free workplace and is committed to building inclusion and leveraging diversity.