The Hartford Manager, Application Development - Digital in CHARLOTTE, North Carolina
Title: Manager, Application Development - Digital
Location: United States-North Carolina-Charlotte
Other Locations: United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Job Number: 1800470
This is position is for an Application Development Manager in the Personal Lines digital organization. The Personal Lines development team is passionate for technology and strives to build well architected and innovative solutions for the business. Personal Lines has adopted the Scrum development methodology and core agile engineering practices such as continuous integration and test driven development.
The Personal Lines delivery team is seeking motivated, results oriented individuals with strong technical and leadership skills for the role of an Application Development manager. The responsibilities of an Application Development Manager include:
Oversee technical deliverables for invest and maintenance projects through the software development life cycle, including validating the completeness of estimates, quality and accuracy of technical designs, build and implementation.
Proactively address technical issues and risks that could impact project schedule and/or integrity of the application environment.
Work closely with stakeholders to design and document solutions that align with the business needs and also consistent with the architectural vision.
Mentor and train project team members (including Sourcing Partners) to enforce development guidelines and best practices.
Coordinate between multiple disciplines (Architects, Business Analysts, Project Managers, and Customers) developers to design, develop, implement and support complex business solutions.
Perform detailed technical reviews including code review to ensure the quality of the deliverables is high.
Perform occasionally hands-on development work using HTML5, Java, JBOSS, Mobile frameworks including Bootstrap and AngularJS in situations as needed.
Manages and leads IT Application Development team to implement digital enterprise solutions
Ensures technical and business requirements for digital applications are in compliance with enterprise architecture
Creates and sets performance plans for the team aligned to strategic plans
Identifies and resolves gaps in skills, processes, and resources
Sets deadlines, assigns responsibilities, mentors, and monitors progress of the team
Works with stakeholders and technical areas to identify nonfunctional requirements
Develops guidelines for capturing technical and business requirements
Managerial duties include resource allocation, resource augmentation, and relationship building with vendors and external teams
• Advanced degree in Computer Science or related disciple with a minimum of 10-12 years of work experience in IT systems analysis and application program development
• Minimum of 6 years hands on development experience with Java, Mobile frameworks including Bootstrap and AngularJS, JBOSS & Weblogic
• Minimum of 3 years of managerial experience leading a team of atleast 5-6 developers.
• Strong understanding of OOPS concepts and ability to develop detailed application designs using proven industry patterns and best practices
• Thorough understanding and experience using relational databases preferably SQL Server and/or Oracle
• Requires understanding & usage of J2EE technologies like Java Web and REST Services, JMS and JDBC
• Superior organization skills with the ability to simultaneously handle multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrates interpersonal skills required to successfully work in a team environment and communicates effectively across a variety of stakeholder groups
• Ability to identify opportunities and transform them into quantifiable and achievable initiatives
• Must be a dynamic and self-starting individual who is able to work independently or as part of a team with minimal guidance and direction
• Must be able to continuously learn new skills to keep abreast of industry trends and state of the art technology
• Must be able to effectively prioritize and assign work in order to meet deadlines
• Must be able to effectively communicate with both technical and non-technical users at all levels of an Organization
• Must demonstrate a commitment to continuous learning and mentoring
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to present confidently before a large audience
• Excellent analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of project management methodologies and best practices
• Experience using ACORD based schema/XML is a plus
Behaviors at the Hartford
Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
What Else Can You Tell Me?
- The Hartford is committed to the education and growth of our Information Technology Professionals. A number of IT Certifications are available to enhance your career and growth potential. IT Professionals at The Hartford may qualify for a stipend up to $1000 per year for additional certifications
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Age/Religion
* NO AGENCIES PLEASE *
Job: Application Development
Primary LocationUnited States-North Carolina-Charlotte
Other LocationsUnited States-Connecticut-Hartford
Education LevelBachelor's Degree (±16 years)
TravelYes, 10 % of the Time
PostingFeb 22, 2018, 8:00:37 PM
Remote Worker OptionNo
The Hartford is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, ancestry or citizenship status, genetic information, pregnancy status or any other characteristic protected by law. The Hartford maintains a drug-free workplace and is committed to building inclusion and leveraging diversity.