The Hartford PL Underwriting Manager in SCOTTSDALE, Arizona
Title: PL Underwriting Manager
Location: United States-Connecticut-Windsor
Other Locations: United States-Texas-San Antonio, United States-Arizona-Scottsdale
Job Number: 1701888
This position is an in-office role leading a 15-member team of Personal Lines Underwriters in alignment with segment and operations direction on risk appetite, cost of doing business and customer experience. The Personal Lines Underwriting Manager leads the coaching and development of underwriters ensuring strong and timely exposure development and risk selection skills while creating a culture of continuous improvement, operating effectiveness and business owner mindset. Proactively identifies training issues, process and technology gaps and loss trends to make recommendations which mitigate future losses, identifies fraud and delivers long-term profitable growth of the personal lines business. Responsible for underwriter development, employee engagement and workload prioritization.
- Translates segment appetite for target market into team direction and execution practices
- Creates training and coaching plans which deliver strong performance management, salary planning and organizational planning, hiring and placement, and disciplinary actions
- Consults with all levels of internal partners regarding underwriting policy and practices
- Provides input into business plans and helps identify operational performance gaps and efficiencies
- Communicates direction, operational decisions and underwriting perspective to underwriting team and internal partners
- Ensures that underwriting practices and guidelines are understood and adhered to, specifically focusing on price, risk selection, mix of business, and quality analysis
- Leads execution practices with the assigned team.
- Ensures that underwriter training, development and execution in support of underwriting programs deliver desired business objectives
- Identifies opportunities and gaps in current underwriting programs that may lead to performance shortfalls and continuous improvement opportunities
- Determines priorities and ensures adherence to workflow standards for the unit
- Monitors and manages performance measurements to ensure effectiveness of the department's results delivery
- Effectively directs team resources to drive business needs
Leadership and Talent Development
- Determines and ensures delivery of training and development based on individual and team needs
- Coaches, develops and provides feedback to underwriters
- Responsible for managing and developing direct reports as well as working closely with the leadership team to ensure completion of meaningful development opportunities for employees
- Drives accountability and ownership of group results to the Underwriters
- Executes on Employee Survey Action Items as a result of annual survey outcomes
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience with completion of insurance coursework such as API or CPCU preferred
- 3 years underwriting, customer service or related leadership experience
- Strong influencing and communication skills with demonstrated ability to engage with senior management internally and at customers/clients
- Knowledge of personal lines insurance products, state regulations, underwriting policies, procedures and best practices
- Ability to deliver goals and priorities
- Demonstrated decision-making ability required in day-to-day operations
- Ability to evaluate and recommend solutions regarding customer service, work processing, underwriting selection, and best practices compliance
- Ability to reach a solution in situations where there may be multiple options or competing priorities
- Strong analytical skills and drive for results
- Skilled communicator with strong people leadership, engagement and development skills
- Possess the ability to manage matrix relationships with regional, product and service center leadership; and to partner with product leadership in cooperative efforts to meet business objectives
- Proven ability to coach to improve, maintain and optimize performance of their staff
Behaviors at the Hartford
*Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
*Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
*Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
*Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **
Job: Personal Lines UW