The Hartford Multinational Underwriter in NEW YORK, New York
Title: Multinational Underwriter
Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Other Locations: United States-New York-New York, United States-Pennsylvania-King of Prussia, United States-Georgia-Atlanta, United States-California-San Francisco, United States-California-Los Angeles
Job Number: 1700775
This position can be hired as a executive underwriter or senior underwriter depending on experience level.
As a leader in business and personal insurance and other financial services products, The Hartford offers professionals many possibilities for career growth. And whether we're helping customers or building careers, we're experts at creating advantages that help people reach their goals.
Overview of the Position
The Multinational Underwriter is a lead underwriting resource for our Multinational underwriting practice. In this role will be a member of The Hartford’s (HIG’s) exciting expansion and growth initiatives to build and execute a broader multinational risk strategy that supports mid-size and large U.S. domiciled risks. More specifically, partnered with our home office and regional underwriting teams, this role will underwrite Controlled Master Programs (CMPs), manage the placement of compliant locally admitted policies with our global network, execute underwriting of HIG’s Exporters Package, and provide multinational expertise at the point of sale as needed to differentiate HIG’s Multinational Choice offering.
This role will report to the Director, Multinational Underwriting for their territory and share responsibilities in the execution strategy for growth of Multinational products and capabilities that supports HIG’s commercial market business segments.
- Act as the underwriting steward in the respective region/geography representing the Multinational underwriting practice.
- Achieve the Multinational profitability and net premium growth objectives, as established for each product line
- Identify product differentiators and appetite expansions to facilitate profitable growth
- Promote constructive, clear communication, and accountability for Multinational results.
- Work closely with service network partners to administer and manage placement, billing and underwriting of local admitted policies
- Collaborate with other businesses in support of their Multinational needs and capabilities, including Small Commercial, Hartford Financial Products, and Group Benefits, to implement and execute appropriate product, sales and marketing plans
- Facilitate and promote The Hartford’s Multinational brand and capabilities with customers, prospects, associations and events
- Execute on behaviors and achieve profitability objectives, including Growth, Retention, Net Rate, New Business and Combined Ratio
- Collaborate with field staff on agency meetings and sales calls execution to promote submissions that include international coverages
- Opportunity identification, pipelining and articulation of the Multinational appetite
- Quote/Hit/Yield Management
Risk Portfolio Management
- Ensure achievement of Quality standard for Multinational Exporters and maintain Quality standards for CMP book.
- Identify and take appropriate action on poorly performing accounts, and preserving the Agency Relationship in the process. Measure outcomes using appropriate tools and metrics
- Maintain an appropriate portfolio mix of business across all lines.
- Represent Multinational within the Middle Market offices, managing multinational contributions and collaborations with all business groups (Key Accounts, Small Commercial, National Accounts, GBD, Bond, HFP, SGL, Medmarc). Own and take accountability for driving financial performance and operational excellence in enterprise results.
- Develop specific strategies and execute on initiatives for Multinational growth for Top VIP and Partner agents as part of local agency sales planning and management
- Collaborate with local teams on Large lines process
Diversity & Inclusion
- Incorporate D&I within vision, messaging and communication; visibly sponsor and encourage participation in D&I activities and events
Role Clarity & Decision Effectiveness
- Adopt Hartford Operating Principles and participative decision style and behaviors; hold oneself and others accountable
- Take structured approach to decision making using clearly defined criteria, roles and process
- Make, support and implement high quality, timely decisions
- Push decisions to the right level and support delegated authority
- Model personal integrity, drive the importance of ethics and compliance throughout the business, provide appropriate resources (including personnel and training) to support compliance needs
Execution & Ownership:
- Drive the Commercial Markets and Middle Market agendas with increased responsiveness to customer and distributor needs using more streamlined decision-making and execution
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors that will contribute to writing more profitable multi-line business, appropriately expanding our risk appetite and empowering individuals to win while adhering to strong underwriting and ethical standards
- Be risk-tolerant and learn from failures
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors that facilitate collaboration and teamwork. Leverage Field and Home Office expertise to strengthen our position as a top carrier in the marketplace
- Visibly champion a culture of accountability, embrace new ideas, and actively demonstrate proactive collaboration;
- Celebrate and communicate successes related to risk-taking, collaboration across segments, overcoming hurdles and problem-solving, and collectively winning profitable business
- 5 years underwriting experience in commercial insurance practice
- 5 years multinational underwriting experience, including specific experience both exporters and CMPs with local placements is a plus
- Superior technical knowledge, decision making, and analytical skills are a must
- Strong financial/business acumen skills
- Ability to work independently in a team environment
- Self-driven and highly motivated for success
- Stellar relationship building, sales and negotiation skills required
- Strong desire and ability to travel extensively
- BA/BS Degree required. Advance degree attractive. CPCU preferred.
- Position level and title commensurate with experience
- Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Job: Middle Market Speciality UW