The Hartford Managing Director, Specialty Field Sales Construction & Marine in LOS ANGELES, California
Title: Managing Director, Specialty Field Sales Construction & Marine
Location: United States-California-San Francisco
Other Locations: United States-Colorado-Greenwood Village, United States-California-Brea, United States-California-Los Angeles
Job Number: 1700362
The Managing Director, Construction & Marine Specialty Field Sales directs the execution of the specialty strategic and operating plans within their respective territory, and provides management to both a Regional Director and a large team of field underwriters. The incumbent is accountable for the P&L for the Middle Market Construction & Marine business in their region through, including loss sensitive and guaranteed cost business. This position collaborates with multiple Division and Regional Office leadership teams to direct a team of dedicated construction and marine personnel to drive profitable business for The Hartford, acting as a liaison with field leadership to ensure clear communication and accountability. The position is charged with creating an environment that supports and motivates team members to develop expert technical, sales, underwriting and customer service skills with the goal of increasing the penetration of existing agency relationships and building new agency relationships within the aligned market.
The Managing Director, Construction & Marine Specialty Field Sales is responsible for managing a large team underwriters, in addition to managing a Regional Director who will assist in managing the territory and staff.
• Builds strong, distinctive strategic partnerships with key Construction and Marine agents, brokers and clients. Develops and implements segment sales plans. Maintains keen insight into competitor’s strengths, weaknesses and strategies to leverage for profitable business and increased agency penetration. Directs and manages team performance to ensure consistent practice of sales excellence discipline.
• Actively manages the flow and mix of business to ensure that short-term and long-term financial outcomes are optimized.
People Leadership and Development:
• Responsible for attracting, selecting and developing high caliber diverse talent from within and/or outside of the organization. Ensures staff continuity for key positions by anticipating and planning for future staffing needs. Effectively manages staff through active performance management, implementation of a meaningful development process; builds a strong team which fosters collaboration, open dialogue and involves them in critical decision making and planning activities.
• Partners with Home Office to ensure that underwriting practices and guidelines are understood and adhered to, specifically focusing upon pricing, risk selection, mix of business, flow management and quality analysis. Utilizes QA and referral programs to identify opportunities to develop staff to ensure functional and regulatory integrity of the book of business and overall compliance with segment guidelines.
Planning and Monitoring Results:
• Develops territorial strategic and operating plans, which leverage agent/broker relationships and positions The Hartford to profitably grow within the territory. Closely manages plan results and directs implementation of specific actions to address financial shortfalls. Responsible for collaborating with Division and Regional Office leadership for agency management of top partners.
• Strong Property & Casualty background and experience with Loss Sensitive and Guaranteed Cost Construction risks; exposure to Inland and Ocean Marine lines of business preferred
• Experience with Microsoft computer package
• Ability to learn/navigate internal computer systems
• BS/BA degree
• Advanced degree and/or relevant industry designation (e.g.) CRIS, CPCU, ARM OR CIC
• 7 years of underwriting, agency/territorial experience of which 3 years in a leadership/Management role.
• Solid financial/business acumen skills
• Highly regarded for leadership capabilities
• Ability to travel extensively.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression
Job: Underwriting Management