The Hartford Sr Data Engineer in HARTFORD, Connecticut
Title: Sr Data Engineer
Location: United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Other Locations: United States-Florida-Lake Mary, United States-Texas-San Antonio, United States-North Carolina-Charlotte
Job Number: 1701018
The Hartford Financial Services Group is seeking a Senior Consultant of Applied Research, to support the data needs of Operation Research. As a member of the Research Data Team this individual will provide data, business, and technical support for a wide range of operational solutions, which include underwriting, call center, and digital analytics.
This position combines business and technical skills involving interaction with business customers, research staff, internal and external data suppliers, Information Technology experts, and a wide variety of Hartford personnel at all levels in support of quantitative research, predictive modeling, and data mining projects for Operational Predictive Modeling.
- Identifying internal and external data sources
- Analyzing data sources for availability and quality
- Analyzing source systems and provide business solutions
- Assisting in high level data analysis.
- Identifying areas of opportunity to improve or enhance existing data processes
- Work closely with Research Modelers, external and internal data suppliers throughout The Hartford in analyzing data sources, being subject matter data expert, defining business requirements, providing data, and assisting in high level data analysis.
- Activities include Operations Research development, ad hoc and project support, line of business product segment support, operational leadership, pseudo production, maintenance, quality measures and documentation
- Relate the data to the business processes that generates it and the communication skills to disseminate information regarding the availability, quality, and other characteristics of the data to a diverse audience.
- Coordinating with Enterprise Data Warehouse, internal/external data suppliers and service operations
Experience & Skills
1. Candidates must have the technical skills to transform, manipulate and store data, the analytical skills to relate the data to the business processes that generates it and the communication skills to disseminate information regarding the availability, quality, and other characteristics of the data to a diverse audience.
2. Experience accessing and retrieving data from large data sources
3. Experience with data modeling, data warehousing tools and data bases (e.g. SAS, ETL, Informatica, ORACLE, Teradata, SQL Server, R, Python)
4. Ability to analyze source systems and provide business solutions
5. Experience in creating and tuning SQL Queries
6. Experience with Indexes and basic Data Base Design is a plus
7. Self-starter with a willingness to become a data expert and to learn new skills
8. Results oriented with the ability to multi-task and adjust priorities when necessary
9. Knowledge of call center, underwriting, and Digital Analytics
10. Ability to work independently or in a team environment with internal /external customers
11. Determine business solutions and translate into actionable steps
12. Bachelor degree or equivalent experience in related field required
Behaviors at the Hartford
1. Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
2. Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
3. Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
4. Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Job: Data Engineering