The Hartford Middle Market Underwriter, Group Benefits in HARTFORD, Connecticut
Title: Middle Market Underwriter, Group Benefits
Location: United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Other Locations: United States-Florida-Lake Mary, United States-Maine, United States-Georgia-Alpharetta
Job Number: 1701472
WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION?
- Within company guidelines, price, appraise/evaluate risk, and underwrite cases 500-5,000 lives.
- Analyze and review Underwriting guidelines and product offerings to determine appropriate plan designs.
- Through Requests for Proposals (RFP) interpretation and system automation, generate proposal/plan design and quotes for cases 500-5,000 lives.
- If applicable, with guidance, profitably underwrites business through brokers and Third Party Administrators (TPAs) by reviewing and analyzing the information on each risk.
- Works independently but seeks guidance on more complex cases/applications.
- May answer questions, provide/verify information, price plan changes, rates, services, evaluate morbidity/mortality risks by coverage, etc.
- Actively contributes to staff projects, assists other underwriters as needed.
- May provide technical backup at sales presentations to clients/brokers.
- Performs training assignments and other special assignments.
- Recognizes problems, issues and improvement possibilities. Ability to summarize information and make recommendations.
- Partner with assigned sales offices to meet new premium sales goal.
WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS OF THE POSITION?
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience preferred
- Knowledge of insurance business, organization and products
- 2 years of group underwriting experience required, group benefits and Voluntary (CI, Accident, HI) experience preferred
- Work flow and basic system knowledge is preferred.
- Knowledge of Group Benefits (GB) products/benefits and language desired.
- Previous knowledge of rating function, quote tracking and/or proposal generation in a group benefits setting preferred.
- Focus on Risk Selection
We will consider remote work for strong candidates br> br> br> br>Candidates will also have the following competencies: br> br>+ Customer Focused + Building Relationships + Creative Problem Solving + Analytical/Quantitative Skills + Takes Initiative/Ownership/Accountability + Strong Interpersonal Communication + Maintains Quality + Strong Team Player/Positive Attitude/Professionalism + Time Management
Behaviors at the Hartford br> br>+ Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers. + Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford. + Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others. + Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve. br> br>Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression br> br>Job: Group UW