The Hartford Director, Design and User Research in HARTFORD, Connecticut
Title: Director, Design and User Research
Location: United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Job Number: 1700283
The Hartford is searching for an experienced Design Researcher to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with Designers, Product Managers and others to inspire and inform our efforts to deliver winning customer, distribution partner and employee experiences. In this newly created enterprise role, you will leverage your passion for customers and your robust research and consulting toolkit to help our businesses focus on the most important experience opportunities and contribute to our efforts to improve them. You will also contribute to the evolution of our existing marketing and usability research capabilities towards more complete adoption of design thinking.
• Serve as an evangelist for Design Thinking and Research within The Hartford
• Bring a customer-centric approach to identifying and solving for customers’ concerns, problems, and unmet needs:
o In initial project stages - responsible for identifying, collecting, analyzing, synthesizing and sharing customer and marketplace insights from existing sources.
o In subsequent stages - responsible for defining, planning, executing and communicating results from user research in a way that inspires the team through solution ideation, prototyping and prototype refinement.
• Work closely with enterprise designers, lines of business partners and others in functional areas through all phases of projects to bring about the changes required to increase customer value and achieve gains in preference and loyalty.
• Possess the deep content knowledge and practical executional experience required to be a strong, credible design thinking leader.
• Have six years of relevant experience that includes demonstrated success integrating user research into product and experience design at a customer-focused company, including a minimum of two years in a leadership role.
• Comfortable working across business lines applying design research skills to B2C, B2B and B2E (business to employee) projects spanning personal lines auto & homeowners insurance, small and large commercial property, liability and workers comp insurance, and employee benefits (non-healthcare) products. • Able to synthesize disparate, existing voice of customer information and insights to uncover opportunities or generate useful hypothesis for testing.
• A deep appreciation for appropriate primary research methods that includes when and how to apply them during each phase of design.
• Skilled at personally executing research activities that uncover actionable, inspiring customer insights that fuel all phases of a project from ideation to iterative design assessment to refinement to launch.
• A passionate and compelling communicator who takes a point of view, advocates for the user and inspires business stakeholders and designers.
• Eager to collaborate with more traditional marketing researchers and dedicated interface usability specialists for mutual support and growth.
• A professional, positive attitude and entrepreneurial drive.
• A strong bias for action and impact.
• At least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject area.
About The Hartford: With more than 200 years of expertise, The Hartford (NYSE: HIG) is a leader in property and casualty insurance, group benefits and mutual funds. The company offers a full complement of business insurance coverages, auto and home insurance, employee benefits and a family of mutual funds to help its customers prepare for the unexpected, protect what is most important to them, and prevail in the event the unexpected happens. Headquartered in Hartford, Conn., the company has approximately 17,500 employees located throughout the country. The Hartford reported 2014 revenues of $18.6 billion. Throughout its history, the company has delivered on its promises to agents, brokers and customers, insuring some of the nation’s most historic construction projects, such as the Golden Gate Bridge and the Hoover Dam. The Hartford has also paid claims related to some of America’s largest disasters, including the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906, the September 11 terrorist attacks, and more recently, Hurricane Katrina and Storm Sandy. The Hartford’s biggest competitive advantage is its employees. We hire a broad range of talented teammates from diverse backgrounds and cultures. We look for teammates who share our vision to be an exceptional company celebrated for financial performance, character, and customer value. The Hartford is widely recognized for its service excellence, sustainability practices, and trust and integrity. The company has been recognized by:
• Human Rights Campaign as a 2015 Best Place to work for LGBT Equality (2009-2015)
• Dow Jones Sustainability Index as a leader in corporate sustainability (2014)
• Carbon Disclosure Project on the 2014 Climate Leadership Index (2014)
• GI Jobs as a 2014 Military Friendly Employer (2010-2014)
• Military Times Edge as a 2015 “Best for Vets” Employer (2010-2015)
• Ethisphere Institute as a “World’s Most Ethical Company" (2008-2012, 2014, 2015)
• U.S. EPA with the annual Climate Leadership Award (2014-2015)
Visit our website to learn more about The Hartford’s recognition. More information about the company and its product offerings is available at www.thehartford.com. Join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheHartford. Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TheHartford. The Hartford is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, ancestry or citizenship status, genetic information, pregnancy status or any other characteristic protected by law. The Hartford maintains a drug-free workplace and is committed to building inclusion and leveraging diversity. * NO AGENCIES PLEASE *
Job: Marketing Research & Analytics