The Hartford Data Engineer in HARTFORD, Connecticut
Title: Data Engineer
Location: United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Job Number: 1700765
WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS POSITION?
The ideal candidate will lead and/or participate in the entire software development lifecycle process in support of Personal Lines technology applications. Candidate should possess strong functional knowledge of various business analysis activities, skilled in performing data analysis, data modeling, requirement elicitation, application development facilitation and strong customer interfacing skills with an ability to work on the highest technical complexity projects. Candidate should have the ability to:
- Act as liaison and consultant between the business and IT.
- Identify best practices and assist with evaluating the performance of the team.
- Organize and synthesize information provided by stakeholders in order to enable the project team to implement a solution that meets those needs and identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Structure and drive working and informational sessions that promote collaboration, synergy, and achieve desired outcomes.
- Clearly give and receive information, requirements and specifications (facts, ideas, perspectives) through verbal and written communication methods.
- Effectively communicate with others and develop healthy, productive work interactions.
- Perform requirements planning, monitoring and end-to-end requirements management.
- Utilize tools such as Informatica, B2B, PL/SQL, Hadoop, etc… to develop data assets that support organizational decision making via prototyping, data discovery, profiling, etc…
- Leverage data mining and Business Intelligence tools to analyze large amounts of data identifying relationships and patterns within the data
- Solves a range of multidimensional technical and business questions through data analysis
- Working experience with Big Data technologies and concepts on a Hadoop platform (e.g. Scoop, Hive, Pig, NoSQL, etc…) a plus
- Experience with ETL Processes and data modeling
- Intermediate/Strong SQL skills
Additional responsibilities include:
Identifies logical, relevant business, data relationships between complex topics in the broader context of own project or functional area.
Independently perform data analysis to support requirement development that are complete, clear, unambiguous, well written and appropriate to audience.
Consistently and independently follows prescribed framework.
Effectively set expectations relative to own work and remains unbiased and open to alternative opinions and perspectives.
Identifies major factors critical to decision making and drives team to most efficient approach to enable and support decisions.
Understands the scope of the project and helps resolve scope questions and issues related to own work.
Drives small, medium and large audiences along well organized agendas.
Effective at structuring meetings, preparing materials necessary to achieve desired goals and objectives.
Listens for comprehension and insight into both what, how something is communicated and relays information with consistent accuracy and completeness.
Aids team members to help identify issues and improve quality of his/her deliverables. Enables team to learn and utilize different approaches in improving quality, execution and driving improvement opportunities.
Able to adapt to new team dynamics. Builds relationship and influence with business, peers and effectively establishes credibility.
Effectively resolve conflicts within own area of work.
Sought out for involvement in work efforts.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or a related discipline and at least 2 years of solid, diverse work experience in IT, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Seeking candidates with prior Data Analysis and/or Data Engineer competencies.
- Experience in a Business Data Analyst and/or Data Engineer role, following the software development lifecycle with demonstrated proficiency at requirements planning and monitoring, requirements elicitation, requirements documentation, Data analysis and modeling, Solution design and development
- Pursues issue escalation and risk assessment when appropriate.
- Provides estimates for assigned work and demonstrates sound understanding and application of change control processes to manage project scope to cost, schedule and quality.
- Organizational and time management skills with the ability to adjust to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of the organization (e.g. Entry level through to Leads within IT/Business departments).
- Ability to provide options and assess solutions, looking at the business holistically and understanding the architectural roadmap.
- Understanding of current and emerging IT products, services, processes and methodologies
- Data Analysis- Input, understand, analyze and act on data
- Business Owner Mindset- Operate with keen business knowledge, expense, risk & controls driven mindset
- Communication- Influence through a consultative approach
- Customer Driven- Focus on “Harvest” – (our enterprise continuous improvement effort), innovative problem solving, and efficient local decision making for continuous improvement
- Growth & Development- Maximize development of self and others
- Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Job: Data Science