The Hartford Construction Property Specialist, Head of Builder’s Risk in HARTFORD, Connecticut
Title: Construction Property Specialist, Head of Builder’s Risk
Location: United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Other Locations: United States-Illinois-Chicago, United States-New York-New York
Job Number: 1700835
The Hartford’s Middle Market organization is enhancing its capabilities in the Construction sector. The Construction Property Specialist, Head of Builder’s Risk will be a subject matter expert with countrywide responsibilities with expertise in commercial construction, civil/engineered risk, master builder’s risk and other property and inland marine exposures for IRMI top 100 and other large Construction clients. As we look to deliver comprehensive client solutions to trading partners, the Construction Property Specialist, Head of Builder’s Risk will serve as an integral resource working with both Construction and Marine leadership counterparts to further define capability and product needs and recommend marketing strategies that will enable The Hartford to successfully build our construction-related property and inland marine book of business.
Underwriting / Product and Industry Expertise (50%):
- Provides subject matter and product expertise for commercial construction, civil/engineered risk, master builder’s risk and other property and inland marine exposures. Acts as a resource in partnership with Construction and Marine senior leaders to develop product, marketing and distribution strategies in line with company objectives.
- Creates and fosters a reputation as an underwriting functional expert and serves as a respected, informal role model for other colleagues. Expertly applies all applicable line of business underwriting guidelines when making recommendations and decisions.
- Regularly underwrites complex construction property and inland marine business, partnering internally with home office resources as needed to design coverage solutions and complete quotes. Produces, underwrites and services a profitable book of construction property and inland marine business.
- Gathers and evaluates industry trends, competitive intelligence, customer feedback and financial performance in order to identify trends or emerging issues requiring adjustment or changes to product or rate resulting in improvement to or maintenance of acceptable profit results.
- Leads the development, management and communication of new or revised underwriting positions and appetite; ensures underwriting guidance is regularly reviewed and maintained using a broad view of the market.
- Collaborates with others to set direction and execute on underwriting and sales strategies to grow book of business profitably. Monitors and analyzes line of business results and reacts quickly and effectively to growth and profit challenges.
- Has thorough knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and governance.
Agency Management and Partnership (20%):
- Manages and develops producer and client relationships.
- Responsible for consistently raising the bar in driving & executing critical initiatives with agents and brokers. Serves as a trusted advisor to agents and brokers, managing and developing strategies to profitably grow the book of business.
- Maintains expert level knowledge of compensation plans for all distribution partners, and takes part in defining compensation that will drive success. Proactively partners with management to drive initiatives that support our compensation decisions.
- Consulting with producers and clients to answer questions regarding coverage, explain processes and direct producers and clients to appropriate resources within the Hartford based on their unique needs.
- Has a thorough understanding of how service operates at The Hartford, and makes recommendations to improve the client experience.
Sales and Marketing (20%):
- Establishes and maintains active pipeline of construction property and inland marine opportunities. Utilizes existing client and agent/broker relationships to market The Hartford’s construction property and inland marine offerings.
- Fosters relationships with other divisions of The Hartford in order to collaborate and cross-sell to maximize advantage. Effectively cross-sells with and sources opportunities for other team members in order to deliver comprehensive client solutions.
- Differentiates The Hartford from the competition in all aspects of sales, and actively demonstrates The Hartford's value to agents and brokers.
- Consistently assesses market opportunity and generates specific and realistic ideas for The Hartford to execute on to drive in new business.
- Is well versed about every aspect of The Hartford's value proposition to best position us for success. Is professionally demanding and holds internal and external customers accountable.
Staff Management and Talent Development (10%):
- Partners with other leadership to build out and manage/develop a staff of underwriters responsible for construction property underwriting and sales to facilitate expansion into targeted areas of growth nationwide.
- Pipelines new external and internal industry talent.
- Responsible for coaching, developing, training and performance management of teams in both field and home office roles.
- Provides training to staff on effective underwriting techniques and ensures adequate quality practices.
- Accountable for understanding the skill set needs of the team and individual members in order to inform local talent strategies and improve effectiveness of the team.
- Minimum of 12-15 years relevant Construction Property and Inland Marine underwriting experience, with expertise marketing for and evaluating complex risks
- Demonstrated knowledge of the construction property and inland marine business external market, producer community, competitive environment, product and coverage knowledge
- Ability and experience underwriting a variety of complex property and inland marine risks and designing customized coverage solutions
- Must be able to effectively and independently navigate complex territories, geographies and relationships with agents, brokers and trading partners.
- Strong technical underwriting acumen and analytical skills
- Prior management experience with strong mentoring and coaching discipline
- Strong presentation and marketing skills; excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills with an emphasis on customer focus, collaboration and partnering with others to obtain results
- Thorough attention to detail, and track record of maintaining consistently strong underwriting documentation and underwriting quality results
- Ability for moderate to extensive travel as needed
- BA/BS or advanced degree required
Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for action that drives exceptional performance.
Work as a Team - Respect our teammates and work inclusively to achieve the best results.
Build Strong Partnerships - Forge trusted relationships and deliver customer value with integrity.
Strive for Excellence - Continuously improve to reach the highest standards and inspire others to do the same.
The Hartford is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Hartford maintains a drug-free workplace.
Committed to Building Inclusion and Leveraging Diversity
* NO AGENCIES PLEASE *
Job: Underwriting Management