The Hartford AVP & Actuary - Commercial Auto Pricing in HARTFORD, Connecticut
Title: AVP & Actuary - Commercial Auto Pricing
Location: United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Job Number: 1603097
Overview of the Position
This position leads the Commercial Auto Actuarial team which supports our $600M premium line across Small, Middle, and Large Commercial. The Hartford is determined to beat the competition and we’re improving our profitability using continuous innovation and a deep understanding of the business. The line has support and visibility at the highest management levels, making it a high-profile leadership opportunity.
This position is responsible for leading the Commercial Auto Actuarial team of 11 actuaries, actuarial students, and analysts. It is imperative to establish strong relationships with the business partners, build credibility, and proactively identify areas to improve the business results. The candidate will need to be comfortable both within and outside of the actuarial discipline to broaden sphere of influence. Important to be able to prioritize work for maximum impact while keeping the team motivated. Our auto product is changing quickly and we need to understand the effectiveness of our changes to position ourselves for continuous improvement.
Specifically, the individual in this role will:
- Understand the details and nuances of our Auto book which spans 3 commercial business segments and 4 class plans. Drive continued action for profit improvement and proactively identify areas of opportunity for premium growth.
- Reach across the organization to work with Product, Segment Actuarial, Reserving, Claims, Data Science, Underwriting, Personal Lines and other matrixed partners to drive insights and initiatives. Be a strong voice and advocate for Auto with broad visibility.
- Help set the agenda and the multi-year roadmap for the Auto line.
- Drive efficiencies on the team. Ensure that we reduce complexity to produce high-quality work with an eye towards accuracy. Execute on deadlines.
- Represent the Auto line when needed in Monthly Business Reviews, State of the Line meetings, and Health of the Line meetings to various executives.
- Build an understanding of our competitors and the market in general. Look inside as well as outside to arrive at the most informed answers and decisions.
- Lead the Auto team in creating rate indications, trends, and loss ratio forecasts on a regular basis as well as pricing tools which give direction to the Underwriters.
- Ensure that the team executes the Auto rate filings which are a key component to improving results. Drive efficiencies in the rate filing processes to maximize time for the analytical work related to filing decisions.
- Partner with the Data Science team to create a new indications process that uses predictive modeling and creates a deep dive tool that can be used by the business.
Experience & Skills:
- Minimum 10 years of P&C insurance experience. Auto specific experience preferred.
- FCAS or career ACAS strongly preferred
- Experience leading technical personnel and driving high performance teams working on a variety of projects.
- Ability to prioritize work efforts and operating plans to achieve business goals and objectives.
- Proven track record of challenging existing processes, influencing others and driving processes to a conclusion while meeting critical deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to convey technical results to our business partners and influence decisions.
- Team player with strong collaboration skills and ability to build trusting, effective matrixed partnerships.
- Demonstrated track record of executing change to core business processes through the use of innovative techniques.
Behaviors at the Hartford
- Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers
- Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford
- Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others
- Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve
The Hartford is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Hartford maintains a drug-free workplace.
Committed to Building Inclusion and Leveraging Diversity
* NO AGENCIES PLEASE *
Job: P&C Actuarial Management