The Hartford Underwriter Small Commercial (Charlotte) in CHARLOTTE, North Carolina
Title: Underwriter Small Commercial (Charlotte)
Location: United States-North Carolina-Charlotte
Job Number: 1700843
- Underwrites business (new or renewal, as applicable)
- Prepares files with assistance from mentor
- Prepares analysis on agency book on quarter-to-quarter basis for potential action
- May or may not act with limited Underwriting Authority
- Applies all applicable LOB Underwriting guidelines when making decisions
- Typically manages smaller volume and/or smaller Total Written Premium goal compared to country-wide standard
- May underwrite less complex business and/or have more support from senior underwriters and/or highly frequent referral activity to complete quotes
- Has basic knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and governance
- Works with team to determine strategies on new and/or renewal accounts including agency management activities (prospective book management executes on the mix strategy, low strategy, territorial and agency sales plans, etc.)
- Effectively provides excellent account management service of assigned Division through strategic planning and operational excellence.
- Responsible for, or influences, retention
- Acts as an advisor and resource to the agency
- Establishes and maintains pipeline
- Manages cross-sell and up-sell opportunities across team
- Manages the sales process including planning, operating routines, and monitoring
- Consulting with the agents to answer questions regarding coverage, explaining processes, directing the agents to appropriate resources based on their unique needs
- Directs and coordinates identified service issues
- Basic understanding of how service operates
P&C Underwriting "hands on" experience is required for this role*
- Min 3 year Small Commercial industry UW experience, ideally 3 yrs with National carrier in commercial P & C underwriting experience required.
- Bachelor degree, preferred, or equivalent combination of education and work experience required
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to pay attention to detail to create risk based underwriting decisions including risk acceptance and pricing elections
- Finds opportunities to be a peer leader including driving change management
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and demonstrated ability to learn new software applications
- Thinks like an owner and executes with high level of accountability for self and organization
Behaviors at the Hartford
- Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression
Job: Small Commercial