The Hartford Director, Data Science in CHARLOTTE, North Carolina
Title: Director, Data Science
Location: United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Other Locations: United States-North Carolina-Charlotte
Job Number: 1700854
Director, Data Science, Commercial Lines
Hartford, CT or Charlotte, NC
Overview of the Position
The Director, Data Science will lead a team within for commercial lines data science. The analytics will support the Small Commercial and Middle Market strategic priorities. The analytics will provide insight into our core lines of business, Workers’ Compensation, Property, General Liability and Commercial Auto. The team will create and maintain predictive models for all core lines of business.
- Search for new variables and approaches that improve the pricing segmentation and underwriting guidance.
- Enhance the predictive power of existing models, ensuring quality, accuracy, and integration with the operation of the business from start to finish.
- Partner with the business to ensure alignment between our models and business objectives.
- Communicate changes, impacts, and next steps while anticipating intuitive questions.
- Manage a team of data scientists.
Behaviors at the Hartford
- Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Experience & Skills
- 5 years’ experience in predictive modeling is required, education in actuarial science, mathematics or statistics preferred
- Exposure to commercial lines products, though P&C or Life Insurance will also be considered
- Software: Knowledge in predictive modeling software, such as R, Python or Emblem is required; other modeling software also beneficial
- Experience with GLMs is required, machine learning, clustering and decision trees strongly preferred
- The position is best suited for an independent thinker who is comfortable leading a team and driving execution
- Proven leadership, management/coaching, influencing and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across different businesses and functional areas
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, especially with respect to articulating technical concepts in a compelling manner to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Exceptional analytic and critical thinking skills, with thorough attention to detail
- Strong project management skills and drive-for-results mentality, with the ability to multi-task and make decisions in a business context
Job: Data Science