The Hartford Data Engineer in CHARLOTTE, North Carolina
Title: Data Engineer
Location: United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Other Locations: United States-North Carolina-Charlotte
Job Number: 1700049
Overview of the Position
The Data Science team supports Commercial Lines through class plan development, advanced pricing, underwriting research, operations research, marketing analytics and product innovation.
This role will be responsible for implementing on the third party data strategies for the small commercial data science team. This person will work with various stakeholders within the enterprise such as data science, small commercial, enterprise third party data and external vendors.
We seek candidates with a solid data background as well as strong analytical skills, communication, interpersonal skills and business acumen.
The primary responsibilities for the position will include the following:
· Train data science team on new data assets.
· Perform data analysis and rigorous testing to ensure high quality assets.
· Support development of training materials and perform end-user training to ensure a high degree of customer engagement.
· Partner with IT to oversee implementation of work efforts.
· Support documentation, metadata and data visualization of the assets.
· Participate in the development of the implementation plan as a subject matter expert.
Experience & Skills
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Statistics, Business, Computer Science, MIS or related field.
- Basic knowledge of SAS or other data querying tools.
- Strong SQL skills
- 1-3 years data analysis, manipulation and development.
- 1-3 years of experience in the P&C insurance industry (Actuarial, Underwriting, Product Management, IT).
- Strong strategic thinking and exceptional analytical capability
- Strong verbal/written communication skills; Must be able to communicate effectively at all levels across the organization
- Results-oriented. Demonstrates a sense of urgency and accountability for business issues.
- Customer focused. Builds effective relationships with internal partners, including actuarial, underwriting, operations, and information technology
- Innovative. Seeks new and creative ways to approach analytical exercises and development projects.
- Strong influencing skills
- The ideal candidate is a technically-minded self-starter who can work well under pressure and balance competing priorities in fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
Behaviors at the Hartford
- Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Job: Data Science